Advocacy and Communication Officer
|Position||Advocacy and communication officer
|Reports to||National Coordinator|
|Job Summary||The purpose of this job is to support advocacy, visibility and branding of NASWU. She/he will play a key role in ensuring that NASWU’s communications are both influential and informative to a full range of stakeholders.|
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement the NASWU communications and advocacy strategy
- Take the lead in strategy, planning, development and implementation of a complex communications campaign; working with various partners – UN entities, NGOs, private sector, and communities.
- Provides advice and expertise to Branch Executive Committee structures and officers on a range of advocacy and outreach issues, methods/approaches and strategies
- Develop strategic partnerships with key stakeholders to elicit support for and maximize impact of promotional objectives
- Develop communications and advocacy materials including newsletters, advocacy briefs, leaflets,reports and promotional materials.
- In collaboration with NASWU’s Program team develop and usekey messages to improve visibility of NASWU
- Lead the process of knowledge disseminating at all levels and produce documents that capture the right stakeholders and production of knowledge-based products
- Create visibility of NASWU’s strategic involvement within relevant stakeholders
- Take the lead in organizing media outreaches; arrange all media contacts, press briefings, and interviews and respond to media inquiries quickly and effectively.
- Identify advocacy opportunities relevant to NASWU’s work
- Develop and maintain a project website for information dissemination.
- Maintaininformation database and photo library.
- Organization of publicity, advocacy, knowledge-sharing events and promotional opportunities.
- Organize national and regional NASWU campaignevents
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
- Serve as a spokesperson and advocacy liaison to media organizations, governmental bodies, national groups, private sector organizations, educational institutions and international organizations
- Keep abreast with current development as well as communications and advocacy trends, and ensure that all activities undertaken on behalf of NASWU, externally or internally, are executed in accordance with the overall aims of the organization and in line with NASWU’s policies and procedures
Job Requirements/ Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from reputed university in Social Work and Social Administration. .
- Post graduate training in advocacy and communication.
- Documented experience in intercultural communication, including a good understanding of NGO structures and USAID project work.
- Documented experience in advocacy and lobbying with national and community actors
- Documented experience in writing advocacy briefs, articles and pressreleases
- Progressive experience in public relations, journalism, international relations, public administration or related area.
- Excellent communication, networking, and inter-personal skills. Knowledge about Social work trends in the country
- Good writing skills
- Computer literate and able to use office applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and e-mail
- Good knowledge of social media including uploading and developing materials for websites and internet.
- Demonstrated commitment to advocacy and communication.
How to Apply
If you meet the above job requirements, send your application, detailed CV, copies of academic
and professional papers and names of 3 work related referees
To: The National Coordinator
National Association of Social Workers of Uganda (NASWU)
P.O Box 35388, Kalungu Soya Road (Kampala)
All applications should be marked with subject: Advocacy and Communication Officer
Closing date: 20th April 2018