|Department||Finance and Administration||Date||April 2018|
|Reports to||National Coordinator|
|Job Summary||The purpose of this position is to contribute to improving the efficiency and efficacy of the association and ensure that adequate financial controls are in place, financial transactions are properly authorized, recorded, have adequate supporting documentation, filled, maintained and can be easily extracted for the
purpose of preparing financial statements; and for financial audit purposes. H/She monitors budgets and expenditures and contribute to budget revision. The finance officer will provide support through various financial management functions
including reviewing the financial management system, financial and budget analysis,
financial reporting, budgeting, financial planning, voucher control, training, and financial
performance monitoring. He/she will also provide advice and assistance to NASWU Secretariat, projects and staff in the preparation of monthly management accounts, financial planning and budgets, and financial and management reporting, including reports for the Board, partners and stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the National Coordinator, the Finance Officer
- Develop the financial management system of NASWU
- Design reporting formats for financial reports
- Train finance staff on the accounting software and preparation of financial reports.
- Design effective training programs on financial management for Secretariat
- Collaborate with the internal auditor in maintaining an effective internal control system.
- Monitor performance of financial management activities
- Ensure that funds for program implementation is released on time
- Ensure that all financial statements and reports are prepared and submitted to partners in a timely manner.
- Review and improve the accounting operations to meet new donors and institutional requirements.
- Liaise with auditors to follow-up with audit queries/management letters and contribute to implementation of the recommendations of External auditors.
- Prepares and submits timely and reliable financial reports to the National Coordinator for approval
- Establishes a computer based monitoring system for expenditures
- Check and ensure that all procurement processes and expenditures are in accordance with NASWU policies.
- Check budgets to ensure that all transactions are booked to the correct budget lines
- Develop external relationships with appropriate contacts, e.g. auditors, solicitors and bankers
- Responsible for any financial tasks related to organization of conferences, workshops, retreats.
- Responsible for budgeting, quality assurance, monitoring and making expenditure analysis
- Provide monthly project budget updates
- Ensure that NASWU Financial rules and guidelines are followed
- Coordinate annual external audit, preparation of required documentation and support the implementation of the resulting plan of action and audit corrective measures
- Monitoring procurement process.
- Carry out any other duties as requested by the National Coordinator
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business or equivalent.
- At least 5 years relevant continuous work experience in finance and administrative
- Experience with donor funded projects will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in procurement and preparation of financial reports and
budget variance analysis.
- Work experience with MS Office applications is a must.
- Professional qualification in ACCA or CPA is an added advantage
- Practical computer skills and experience with accounting softwares
- Demonstrate valuable experience in financial management in a membership Organization
- Ability to work independently
- High level of integrity, honesty and accountability
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills
- High level of integrity, result oriented and drive for excellence and initiative.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Computer literate including the ability to operate spreadsheets
- Experience working with non-profit organizations
- Knowledge of accounting, auditing and financial reporting systems and software packages
- Ability to prepare and disseminate financial information
- Strong computer skills especially using Microsoft Office software is required;
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
How to Apply
If you meet the above job requirements, send your application, detailed CV, copies of academic and professional papers and names of 3 work related referees to:
To: The National Coordinator
National Association of Social Workers of Uganda (NASWU)
P.O Box 35388, Kalungu Soya Road (Kampala)
All applications should be marked with subject: Finance Officer
Closing date: 20th April 2018