Progress Updates on the 2019 IFSW Africa Region Conference
Dear Esteemed Social Workers,
As some of you might be aware, the National Association of Social Workers of Uganda (NASWU) bided and won the rights to host the 2019 International Federation of Social Workers (IFSW) Africa Region Conference. The Conference will be held from 29th to 31st October 2019 under the theme “Social Work in Strengthening Human Relations for Social Economic and Political Transformation”
The preparations for the conference are progressing well. Here are some progress updates for your information.
• The National Association of Social Workers of Uganda (NASWU) has so far held two planning meetings with Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development (MGLSD). The meetings were chaired by Mr. Kyateka F. Mondo, Commissioner, Children and Youth. The meetings aimed at providing updates about the conference and seeking support of the ministry to take lead in organising the conference.
• The commissioner has noted that the ministry is fully committed to taking leadership of organising the conference. The ministry will chair the National Organising Committee (NOC) which will have diverse representations from various ministry departments and Civil Society Organisations.
• The meetings agreed on having Speke Resort Munyonyo as the Venue for the conference.
• Concept Note, Budget and road map were developed, shared and input was made to them.
• Terms of Reference for the National Steering committee have been developed
• List of the proposed National Steering Committee members was developed.
• Themes and subthemes were developed and are under discussion.
• The call for abstracts will be out soon, so be on the lookout.
Once the call for abstracts is out, let’s please submit as many abstracts as we can. Any ideas of how to make the conference a success are also welcome and highly appreciated.